Monday, February 20, 2017

Assorted Aye-Aye (10 years on)

Hey,

In 2007 I was studying hand drawn animation at Freelance Animation School. 
For my final year project I was developing a 2 minute cartoon short called "An eye for an Aye-Aye".

I never finished the cartoon but I did work on it on-and-off for a few years, experimenting with different software.

Well 10 years on, here is some various production art from over the years.


Model Sheets & Style guides:
Hand drawn then cleaned up, scanned and coloured in Photoshop.





Early concepts and designs:
At this stage I knew I wanted an adversarial relationship with a man getting tormented by a small, adorable animal.

The animal was a non-specific Cat/ Racoon type creature which had made itself at home in the mans apartment.
These early style concepts were based on Looney Tunes cartoons.
You can see some of the mans poses are from Wile. E Coyote and Sylvester the Cat while one of the animals poses is from the Chuck Jones cartoon "Feed the kitty". 



Then the title came to me and the settings and characters came into focus.

Fun fact: "An eye for an Aye-Aye" is also the name of an episode of 'The Sylvester and Tweety mysteries'.


"A beard and racoon cartoon" was an early concept for Aye-Aye.


Development:









 False advertising:
I would love to work the characters of the Aye-Aye and Tim Portans into a cartoon one day but as it currently stands I will simply say...

Rest in peace "An eye for an Aye-Aye" 2007 - 2017.



Cheerio!



No comments: